IMPORTANT PET HEALTH NEWS
- Grain-Free Diets: There have been reports of some dogs developing heart disease (DCM dilated cardiomyopathy) when fed grain free diets, lacking in some essential proteins. This is a small percentage of dogs, with some breeds being more likely to develop problems. Here's a link to review: https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/blog/update-on-grain-free-diets-and-dcm-cases-in-dogs
- Pet Food Recalls link: https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recalls/
- Isoxazoline-Class Flea/Tick Products: The FDA has updated information of potential adverse neurological effects for all isoxazoline class flea/tick products, 1 to 3 month flea/tick pills. This includes Bravecto, Simparica, and Nexgard. Reported problems include muscle tremors, ataxia, and seizures. We have had only one adverse reaction in a toy dog. Monitor your pet if starting Nexgard, or another product, and consider an alternate option for pets with any of these symptoms. Please report any that your pet may experience.
- CytoPoint: The CytoPoint treatment for atopic allergic dermatitis is now available at our clinic. This is an injection that is given every 4 to 8 weeks.
- Xylitol toxicity in pets: Xylitol sweetener, used in gums and toothpastes, is now showing up in more food products, including peanut butter and other treats, even supplements and medications. Safe for humans, it is deadly for dogs, even in small amounts. READ LABELS carefully! Keep this sweetener out of your home!
- The Orange County Humane Society's Community Cat Trap Neuter Return Program is now a reality. The TNR program meets the need for spaying and neutering the cats so they do not continue to reproduce. This is a great program that will eliminate ever growing cat populations in a humane manner.