Virginia Veterinary Centers - 540-372-3470 | Website
Located in Central Park near Target, at 1301 Central Park Blvd. The emergency clinic is open 24 hours Friday through Tuesday morning, and on major holidays, then Wednesdays & Thursdays from 7 pm to 8 am . They do not take checks, but do take Care Credit, major credit cards, and cash. Veterinary specialist are now available: Surgery, Internal Medicine, and Critical Care: Mondays - Thursdays.
Veterinary Emergency Treatment & Specialty Services- 434-973-3519 | Website
VETSS is located on Airport Rd. outside of Charlottesville, VA. They are open 8am-8pm, 7 days per week and do have overnight care for patients.
VCA - Woodbridge Animal Hospital - 703-897-5665 | Website
Open 24 hours
Medvet - Manassas - 703-361-8287| Website
Open 24 hours
Animal Poison Control Centers
Pet Poison Hotline: (855) 764-7661 | Website | $65 fee for expert advice
ASPCA Animal Poison Control: (888) 426-44436 | Website | Fees may apply
Up-to-date information on a wide range of household and general toxins for dogs and cats. Both offer 24 hour, fee-based, professional help should your pet be exposed to any toxin.
IMPORTANT PET HEALTH NEWS
- Grain-Free Diets: There have been reports of some dogs developing heart disease (DCM dilated cardiomyopathy) when fed grain free diets, lacking in some essential proteins. This is a small percentage of dogs, with some breeds being more likely to develop problems. Here's a link to review: https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/blog/update-on-grain-free-diets-and-dcm-cases-in-dogs
- Pet Food Recalls link: https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recalls/
- Isoxazoline-Class Flea/Tick Products: The FDA has updated information of potential adverse neurological effects for all isoxazoline class flea/tick products, 1 to 3 month flea/tick pills. This includes Bravecto, Simparica, and Nexgard. Reported problems include muscle tremors, ataxia, and seizures. We have had only one adverse reaction in a toy dog. Monitor your pet if starting Nexgard, or another product, and consider an alternate option for pets with any of these symptoms. Please report any that your pet may experience.
- CytoPoint: The CytoPoint treatment for atopic allergic dermatitis is now available at our clinic. This is an injection that is given every 4 to 8 weeks.
- Xylitol toxicity in pets: Xylitol sweetener, used in gums and toothpastes, is now showing up in more food products, including peanut butter and other treats, even supplements and medications. Safe for humans, it is deadly for dogs, even in small amounts. READ LABELS carefully! Keep this sweetener out of your home!
- The Orange County Humane Society's Community Cat Trap Neuter Return Program is now a reality. The TNR program meets the need for spaying and neutering the cats so they do not continue to reproduce. This is a great program that will eliminate ever growing cat populations in a humane manner.
LOCAL ORGANIZATIONS WE SUPPORT
Whiskers 2 Toes Massage Therapy - 540-846-3961 | Website | Facebook
Nancy Lilly is devoted to helping animals live a better life. She now offers massage therapy for dogs and cats, either in your home or here at the clinic.
Orange County Humane Society - 540-672-0069 | Website
Our county Humane Society's mission is to help animals in need in Orange County, and to help minimize the load on Orange County Shelter, and to fill the gaps where the county cannot help. They are a hard working, dedicated group. Many thanks to all the OCHS volunteers! The OCHS now has a TNVR (trap/neuter/vaccinate/return) program for feral and/or homeless community cats. Help solve the cat overpopulation problem in Orange County, call for TNVR information. Locust Grove Vet has been a member and supporter of the Humane Society since 1993.
Orange County Animal Shelter - 540-672-1124 | Website
The Orange County Animal Shelter always has cats and dogs in need of good homes, and sometimes other animals. There is always a need for volunteers to help give the cats and dogs the TLC that they need so much when moved from their prior home into a stressful shelter situation. Foster homes are always needed. Let the shelter director know that you want to volunteer and that we sent you. Let your area's representative on the OC Board of Directors know that you support the the community's homeless pets and expect only the best of care for all of them.
Humane Society of Culpeper - 540-727-7554 | Website
Humane Society for Culpeper, Virginia
Culpeper County Animal Shelter - : 540-547-4477
Animal Shelter & Animal Control
Spotsylvania Animal Shelter & Animal Control - Animal Shelter 540-507-7459 | Animal Control 540-582-7115
Animal shelter & Animal control for Spotsylvania County
Paw for Seniors - Website
This organization helps senior pets in need of new homes.
Cause 4 Paws Feline Rescue & Adoptions - Website | Facebook | Email
Cause 4 Paws is a local feline rescue and adoptions group. Cats and kittens are kept in foster homes until adoption. Email them at Cause_4_paws@yahoo.com, or visit their facebook page: Causefourpaws Locust Grove VA
Johnson Pet Cremation Service - 540-854-5100 | Website
It is always a sad time when a dear pet's life comes to an end. We are blessed to have a local funeral home that provides loving and respectful care when that time comes. Johnson Funeral Home is our choice for pet cremations. They provide private cremations (ashes returned to you), mass cremations (ashes scattered on their property), urns & memorial stones, and an on-line memorial page.
The HOWS Project Houses of Wood and Straw - Website
The HOWS Project provides safe dog houses, bedding, and other help for dogs (and other species) who are kept outside. They work out of Charlottesville, but provide for animals in surrounding counties, as well. Their dedicated members have helped many dogs live more comfortably outside, and have found homes for some so they can live indoors with a family. They work carefully with the dogs' owners to help them provide more humane care for their pets. Please do consider support their efforts by donating or volunteering.
Country Club Kennels - 540-854-6000 | Website
Boarding and Dog Training owned by Austin and Linda Nammack
ADDITIONAL HELPFUL LINKS
Smile! book - Dog Behavior and Training - Dr. Lynne Swanson - Website
This is our new favorite book about dogs, how they think, why they behave the way they do, and how to work with them to develop a great relationship, create good dog citizens, prevent problems and solve problem behaviors. Dr. Swanson is an expert with years of practical experience. Her book is practical and packed full of important information. You can read the first 2 chapters on her website. We love this book so much we have it at the clinic for $16, a lower cost than Amazon. We also have donated copies to local libraries.
The Kitten Lady - Hannah Shaw - Website
The Kitten Lady has been saving lives and teaching others how to save lives of the tiniest, most vulnerable felines. Her website is a huge recourse for anyone who finds a single kitten or a whole litter. She has lots of videos on her website, and now has it all written down in her wonderful new book Tiny but Mighty. Purchase the book, visit her website, and/or go to a seminar. Beyond kittens, she teaches how to work with and develop TNR (Trap-Neuter-Return) programs to help end the cycle of feline overpopulation and homelessness. Please join us in this project.
Alley Cat Allies - Website
Advocating for homeless & feral cats. Educating the public and correcting misinformation about these cats. Help with feral & homeless cat colonies. Spay and neuter programs.
Beagle Freedom Project ARME's - Website
Beagle Freedom Project is a national group working to reduce, the use of animals in research and to place them in loving homes.
Most of this research is unnecessary and causes great distress and suffering to the animals used as test subjects. They live very deprived lives. They are used over and over again, often only to be killed in the end. BFP works to have these dogs, cats, rabbits, etc. released into their care, so they can be adopted into a normal family life. Please join us in supporting BFP & purchasing only "Cruelty Free" products. Download their "Cruelty-Cutter" App to get started. Thanks you!
Maddie's Institute - Website
Webinars, Articles, Training and Resources for Shelter and Rescue groups and individuals.